If your child requires more care from you than other children of the same age and they are likely to need you to care for them for the rest of their lives, you are probably a parent carer.
Your child may have a physical disability, autism, a hearing impairment, learning difficulties or complex health needs.
A parent carer with a child under 18 years can access our services. If you call and register with us on 0800 181 4118, these services may include:
- Our carer cafes & support groups. Find out more on our what’s on page We are currently running a virtual parent/carer group which runs once a month online, due to COVID. Please call 0800 181 4118 for more details.
- Training courses for carers, including parent carers.
- Access to services to support your wellbeing, including pampering sessions
- -Our ‘Courage to Care’ team, who support serving military families.
- Signposting to other useful support agencies.
- Information about services for Young Carers aged 5 – 18.
- Transition Assessments for carers of children who are turning 18
- If you care for a child over the age of 18, we can advise you about the support you could access
Other Services that can help
- If you are concerned about your child’s education health or care needs, you can find out more information by contacting the early help advice team at Wiltshire Council: 0300 456 0108 or visit Wiltshire Local Offer’s website. You can also contact the Wiltshire SENDIASS team on 01225 307455, who can provide support with EHCP’s and school related issues.
Wiltshire Parent Carer Council (WPCC)
The WPCC is a consultation and participation service for parent carers that works alongside Wiltshire Council, the NHS, and other services, to help shape better services for young people, aged 0-25 years with special education needs (SEN) and/ or disabilities.
The WPCC offer services including:
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Service (SENDIS). This is a ‘one-stop’ shop which offers a wealth of information as well as signposting users to specialist services which support families raising a child with SEN and/or disabilities. You can find more information on the WPCC website.
- SENDIS Outreach Service which works 1-2-1 with parent carers who would normally find it difficult to access WPCC support by telephone or internet.
Contacting Wiltshire Parent Carer Council
You can contact them by email or by calling them on 01225 764647 (option 1).
Council for Disabled Children
The Council for Disabled Children has information and advice for parents of disabled children and those with special educational needs.