Carer Support Wiltshire Logo

If your child requires more care from you than other children of the same age and they are likely to need you to care for them for the rest of their lives, you are probably a parent carer.

Your child may have a physical disability, autism, a hearing impairment, learning difficulties or complex health needs.

Our Services

A parent carer caring for a child, whether under or over 18 years, can access our services. If you call and register with us on 0800 181 4118, these services may include (depending on your situation):

  • Our carer cafes & support groups. We have a monthly group for parent carers in Devizes. Find when they take place on our what’s on page. We are hoping to launch an evening virtual group in September 2022, which may be convenient for working carers
  • Access to speakers who attend our support group most months from various support organisations around Wiltshire
  • Through our internal grants process we are able to offer parents access to services, including ones to support wellbeing
  • Signposting to other useful support agencies, including the Carers Project at Citizens’ Advice Bureau who may be able to offer you advice around benefits that you are eligible for.
  • Information about services for young carers aged 5 – 18
  • Transition assessments for carers of children who are turning 18
  • If you care for a child over the age of 18, we can advise you about the support you could access

Other services that may help

  • If you are concerned about your child’s education health or care needs, you can find out more information by contacting the early help advice team at Wiltshire Council: 0300 456 0108 or visit Wiltshire Local Offer’s website. You can also contact the Wiltshire SENDIASS team on 01225 307455, who can provide support with EHCP’s and school related issues.

Wiltshire Parent Carer Council (WPCC)

The WPCC is a consultation and participation service for parent carers that works alongside Wiltshire Council, the NHS, and other services, to help shape better services for young people, aged 0-25 years with special education needs (SEN) and/ or disabilities. The services they offer include:

  • Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Service (SENDIS). This is a ‘one-stop’ shop which offers a wealth of information as well as signposting users to specialist services which support families raising a child with SEN and/or disabilities. You can find more information on the WPCC website.
  • SENDIS Outreach Service which works 1-2-1 with parent carers who would normally find it difficult to access WPCC support by telephone or internet.

Contacting Wiltshire Parent Carer Council

You can contact them by email or by calling them on 01225 764647 (option 1).

Council for Disabled Children

The Council for Disabled Children has information and advice for parents of disabled children and those with special educational needs.

Useful resources

WPCC booklet for those caring for someone aged 0-25 who has special educational needs and/or disabilities

Home Start guide – support and friendship for families

Family Fund supports families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people. As well as grants, there are other ways that Family Fund can support you, including help with money and benefits.

Carers Trust has help and advice on their website, including about how carers can access grants and discounts.