Who we are
Carer Support Wiltshire is a registered charity (Charity no: 1092762) that supports all unpaid carers, from 5 years upwards, in Wiltshire. Our aim is to create a society which understands and supports unpaid carers. We also operate in Dorset under the name Carer Support Dorset.
We help carers to access services, information, education and training, respite, and breaks from their caring role. We ensure carers have a voice and we work with health and social care professionals and employers to raise carer awareness and develop best practice.
We work towards a future where:
- Carers have better health and wellbeing.
- Carers can make choices about their caring role and access the right support and services for themselves and the person they care for.
- Carers needs, voices and the contribution they make to society are recognised and valued.
Our vision and mission
A society which understands and support unpaid carers.
Improving life for all unpaid carers by:
- Listening to and meeting their needs;
- Providing information to give them choices;
- Giving them a voice;
- Influencing and raising awareness of unpaid caring.
Our values are that we are carer-focused, creative, have integrity, we collaborate and we empower.
Why we are needed
There are estimated to be over 47,000 people looking after loved ones in Wiltshire. 2,700 are anticipated to be young adult carers between the ages of 18-25 and approximately 700 are young carers from the age of 5. With many not recognising themselves as carers, the true numbers are expected to be much higher.
How we work
- We work with healthcare professionals, GPs, hospitals and schools to educate, inform and advise about unpaid carers. For example, our GP accreditation scheme, which nearly all GP surgeries in Wiltshire are signed up to, recognises surgeries for offering flexible appointments to carers, keeping a carers register, holding regular carer events and offering carers an annual health check.
- Our team of community engagement managers work out in the community, working with local businesses and other organisations; helping to identify carers and signposting them to services in their communities.
- Our support team works with carers to ensure they receive the support they need to continue caring. We run a helpline for carers which is open during normal office hours on 0800 181 4118.
How we are funded
We rely on funding from Wiltshire Council and Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire Integrated Care Board, companies, trusts, charities, and many others, including those who fundraise or make donations to make a difference to the lives of carers. We are proud to be a network partner of the Carers Trust – the leading national charity for carers in the UK.
You can find our more about how we are funded and governed in our latest Trustee Annual Report
We couldn’t do all that we do without your support, and we endeavour to be honest, accountable and respectful in all that we do. Read more about our Supporter Charter.