Carer Support Wiltshire Logo

Money and Benefits

Thanks to Wiltshire Citizens Advice for helping write this piece.

You can get help and support if you’re responsible for looking after someone who has a disability, is getting older or has become ill.

Help with money

You may be able to get help to increase your income if your caring duties are affecting your finances. Depending on your income, assets and living arrangements, you might be able to:

Help for the person you’re caring for

Making sure the person you’re caring for gets all the social care and support they’re entitled to could mean your role as a carer is made easier. They’re entitled to get a care needs assessment from the council. Depending on the person’s situation they may also be able to:

Other help for carers

Wiltshire Citizens Advice (WCA) Carers Project

You can get free and impartial help to sort out your finances if you’re worried about having enough money to live on and meet your existing commitments. This could include better budgeting, learning how to make your money go further and dealing with debt problems.

The Wiltshire Citizens Advice Carers Project works to provide debt and benefit advice to people who are caring for someone in a non-professional capacity, often a family member but sometimes a friend or neighbour.

For those that come onto the project for debt or benefit issues, the project advisers will explore the options available and may signpost if appropriate. Carers residing in, or accessing GP surgeries in Wiltshire (excl. Swindon) are eligible for this support (capacity allowing). To find out more please contact your local citizen’s advice. 

Grants for carers

If you, or the person you care for need extra help to pay for something, there are many grants, funds, and charities, like the Carers Trust that may be able to help.

Warm and Safe Wiltshire can offer help to those struggling with access to emergency prepayment meter top-ups* and mobile phone top-ups*, and, where there’s no heating in the home or homes are heated inadequately, oil-filled radiators* thanks to funding from Wiltshire Community Foundation.

They offer in-depth casework around managing energy bills and keeping warm, as well as helping you access additional support to suit your needs, such as prescription services.

​ *Subject to availability

More information

If you need further help or advice, there are a number of organisations you can contact.

These include: