If you identify someone as a carer, do discuss with them a referral to us at Carer Support Wiltshire. This will ensure they find out what support is available to them locally. They will be able to talk to a member of our team and, if necessary, can be referred for a carers assessment to consider whether there are support needs that could be met with funding from Wiltshire Council.
We work with the Royal United Bath, Great Western, Swindon and Salisbury District hospitals, as well as the three community hospitals in Wiltshire.
In partnership with hospitals, we help to make sure carers are recognised, and develop services and support to improve the carer hospital experience.
All our hospitals have:
- Carer Information Service, where trained volunteers visit the wards to engage with carers and signpost them to relevant support and information services.
- Carers Café, which offers carers the opportunity to meet with a trained volunteer who can provide information, advice and support relevant to their caring role. They can also meet other carers and have the opportunity to share information and experiences.
- We provide carer awareness training to any organisation, including hospitals.
How to contact us
If you would like to find out more, contact our admin team on 01380 871690.
GP practices are often the first point of contact for carers and are the primary referrers to Carer Support Wiltshire for support for carers.
How we can help
It’s important GP practices identify the people registered with them who are carers. Providing support early on – such as referring to Carer Support Wiltshire and other organisations who can help with their specific needs – can protect the health and wellbeing of a carer and ensure they are able to continue caring for as long as they wish to do so.
We work closely with GP practices and offer a range of support, including access to leaflets, posters and other information and support and advice on how to be more carer friendly.
The Carer Friendly GP Practices award was developed in Wiltshire by local carers, carers support agencies, members of voluntary sector organisations, representatives from GP Practices and NHS Wiltshire and Wiltshire Council in 2011.
The aim of the award is to ensure a more uniform approach to support to carers within GP Practices. The criteria is designed to set standards for desired practice to provide this support. The fulfilling of these criteria should enable a GP Practice to develop a culture of understanding of carers’ issues and needs and address these.
Ways to identify carers include:
- Having a carers notice board
- Keeping a display of Carer Support Wiltshire information in reception
- Using the digital display template in reception
- Keeping a carers register
- Using annual flu clinics to identify and support previously ‘hidden’ or unknown carers
How to contact us
If you work for a GP surgery and would like to find out more about our work with GP surgeries, please contact Helen Gough on 01380 871690.
GP surgeries that are a part of our accreditation scheme will have access to our password protected resources page. If you have any problems logging in or need a new password, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.