Money and Benefits
Are you worried about debt or are you struggling with budgeting and making ends meet? The Citizens Advice Bureau, run a Money Mentoring programme to help you manage your finances. This can take the form of one off advice or a series of up to four face to face meetings. All sessions are in strict confidence and non-judgemental so that they can help you to effectively assess your current situation and to look at what you can do to get on top of your money.
If you think that you could benefit from this service please call us on 0800 181 4118 and ask to speak to a support worker who will refer you into the programme.
Turn2us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services- online, by phone and face to face. Their website includes an easy to use Benefits Calculator and Grants Search Tool.
Financial support – things to consider
- If you spend at least 35 hours a week caring you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance. There are also other benefits and credits that you may be able to get.
- The person you care for may be able to get help with the extra costs of being disabled or having a long term health condition. See if they can claim Attendance Allowance (AA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
- Tax credits and Income Support can help top up your income.
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can help with housing costs if you have a low income. You may also be able to get help heating your home.
- You may be able to get help with health and care costs including help paying for dental treatment, free prescriptions, and help managing and paying for care and support.
- Carer’s Credit is not a benefit but will help make sure you will still have a state pension even if your caring responsibilities mean that you can’t work. Pension Credit is extra money for pensioners on a low income.
- You can apply online for a free TV licence if you are 75 or older on the TV licensing website. You can also apply by phone: 0300 790 6071 (minicom: 0300 709 6050). Find out how to get a free or discounted TV licence on Gov.uk
CarerSmart Discount Club
As a carer you can join the CarerSmart discount club which offers benefits and discounts exclusively to carers and people with care needs. Joining is easy and free, once you’re a member, you can benefit from a wide range of offers including cash back on shopping from numerous high street retailers and discounts on holidays and travel. Visit the CarerSmart website to register. https://www.carersmart.org/
Grants for carers
If you, or the person you care for need extra help to pay for something, there are many grants, funds, and charities, like the Carers Trust that may be able to help. Our experienced team can help you to find out if you are eligible.