This blog post was written by Kathryn Preston, Development Librarian at Wiltshire Council, for Get Online Week 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic has made many of us appreciate the benefits of being online and inspired others to get online for the first time.
As part of Get Online Week 2020, taking place 19-25 October – Wiltshire libraries are highlighting our online services and asking you to help us to promote them to friends and family that may not be aware of what’s on offer.
All Wiltshire libraries have bookable computers that Wiltshire library members can access for 45 minutes each day for free. The computers can be used to access the internet, Microsoft Office and the online resources subscribed to by the library, such as Ancestry and the British Newspaper Archive.
One computer in each library has been set up with extra space, in case anyone wishes to bring a friend or relative with them to help them to use the computer.
Scanning and printing facilities are also available. Printouts cost 10p per sheet.
The computers are cleaned in between each session and they are well spaced out to allow for social distancing. Computers must be booked in advance by calling the library.
From home, Wiltshire library members can:
- Download eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines for free with RBdigital
- Renew and request library books on the online library catalogue
- Listen to eAudiobooks for free with Naxos Spoken Word Library
- Listen to classical music for free with Naxos Music Library
- Read about the history of Wiltshire places on the Community History pages and look at historic maps with Know Your Place
- Practise the driving theory and hazard perception tests for free with Theory Test Pro
For more information, visit our online resources page.
Information about the phased reopening of our libraries during the COVID-19 pandemic can be found on the library news page, including a link to library opening times and contact details.
If you’re not yet a Wiltshire library member, you can join the library online. Carers are entitled to a carer’s library card that allows you to borrow books for six weeks and to request books for free. To change your card to a carer’s card, email email@example.com.