Last updated 9 April 2020 – Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire press release about health concerns 

Here we try to answer some of the key questions that carers have been asking us about Coronavirus. Click on the links below to find the information you need.

Carer Support Wiltshire services for carers

Government sources of information on Cororonavirus (COVID-19)

Looking after the person you care for

Parent carers

Young carers & young adult carers

Support in your local community

Be aware of COVID-19 scams and rogue traders

What is the new Coronavirus Bill and how will affect me as a carer

I’m worried about my finances

What is happening with Carer Support Wiltshire services?

As of 17 March

Following the statement by the Government and the increased risk of infection from Covid-19 we are taking the following action:

  • Our face to face and community support will be suspended with immediate effect. This includes cafes, groups, pampering sessions, group activities, work in GP surgeries and home visits.
  • Carer assessments will now be carried out by phone wherever possible.
  • We are still offering a telephone service (Monday to Thursday 0930 – 1630 and Friday 0930 – 1600).
  • Please call us on 0800 181 4118 or email us if you need support or advice.

We are acutely aware that this is a very worrying time for you and the people that you care for are at particular risk. We will do all we can to support you at this difficult time.

Government sources of information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For the most up to date information on Coronavirus:

Specific guidance from the Government for unpaid carers

Looking after the person you care for

What do I do about shopping for the person I care for?

Here’s a really useful summary of what all the supermarkets are doing in response to the crisis and help for the elderly and vulnerable. This is changing all the time so do check with the individual supermarkets to find out the current situation.

You can also register for extra support if you or your loved one falls into the governments extremely vulnerable category (you should have received an NHS letter confirming this). If you know someone who is vulnerable and doesn’t have access to the internet they can call 0800 028 8327 to register.

Wiltshire Council has launched (31/3/20) a new well-being hub to support vulnerable residents during the ongoing COVID-19 situation.  The team will be offering support and signposting to additional help in your local area. People can get in touch with the hub via email at or by calling 0300 003 4576.  It’s available from 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 10am-4pm Saturday and Sunday.

How do I protect someone I care for from coronavirus?

We are now expected to follow social isolation guidelines to help protect the most vulnerable from the spread of the virus. This is clearly not that easy if you are caring for someone either in your home or in theirs. If you are regularly visiting your cared for we recommend following NHS hygiene guidelines to help prevent the spread of the virus. This NHS video shows how to properly wash hands.

The government has also issued advice for any households that think they might be infected with Covid-19.

Carers UK have some useful guidance about how best to follow the social isolation guidelines when caring for someone.

What about if I have care workers and other home help?

If you have paid carers, cleaners or other helpers coming into the home of the person that you care for, ensure they are following strict hygiene and infection control measures.

Please visit the NHS website for further advice.

I’m worried that I, or the person I care for, has coronavirus. What do I need to do?

The symptoms of coronavirus are:

  • a cough,
  • a high temperature and
  • shortness of breath.

But these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have the illness. The symptoms are similar to other illnesses that are much more common, such as cold and flu.

The NHS have now produced a COVID-19 symptom checker you can use. If you think you might have coronavirus or you’ve been in contact with someone who has it, go to the NHS website for the most up-to-date advice. You do not need to go to your GP or local hospital.

The NHS have also produced guidance about staying at home if you think you have the virus or a member of your household is suspected of having the virus.

I’m concerned that if I contract coronavirus I will need to go into hospital and there will be no one to look after the person I care for.

If you are concerned that the person you care for cannot manage without your support, make sure that you tell hospital staff on arrival.

As a carer you need to know that if something happens to you, replacement care will be sorted out quickly and efficiently. If you already have a Carers Emergency Card we’d recommend you make sure the information is up to date.

If you haven’t signed up yet, we’d advise that you think about creating an emergency plan.

What if I am advised to ‘self-isolate’?

If advice from the or NHS websites is that you must self-isolate then you may need to make plans for alternative face-to-face care for the person you care for, for example by calling on trusted family members, friends or neighbours.

The NHS website has useful guidelines if you have to self-isolate.

These guidelines will be particularly challenging for carers who live with the person they care for.

If you are unable to arrange alternative care, you can contact Adult Social Care on 0300 456 0111. If you are a parent carer, you can contact the Children’s Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub on 0300 456 0108.

There are some local communities that are setting up support networks so please check your local social media groups and press.

If you have paid carers or other home help coming into the house you must inform them that you are self- isolating. They will need to carry out a risk assessment and take steps to protect staff and other clients from the virus.

  • If you need urgent advice outside of normal office hours then contact Adult Social Care on 0300 456 0100.

Parent Carers

I’m a parent carer and have a young carer at home too, what help is there for me?

Queries about support for young carers in Wiltshire 5-15 years old should be directed to the Wiltshire Council Young Carers Team:

The Wiltshire Parent Carer Council also have some useful resources for parent carers including some learning resources and activities.

YoungMinds also has a free parent helpline for any parents/carers worried about a young person under 25. They are still open at this time.

Parents and carers urged parents, carers and others looking after children across Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire are being advised not to let worries about coronavirus delay them from seeking medical help this Easter.

Support from the Wiltshire Schools Nursing Service – for parent of any school age child

  • We have duty nurses available at the end of the phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm should you require any support with your school age child. This is available permanently for all parents to access for advice and support. If you would like support please call one of our duty nurses through our Single Point of access on 0300 247 0090
  • Keep up to date with messages sent from individual schools through their own communication platforms.
  • If you have concerns about a young person please call Wiltshire MASH on 0300 456 0100

Do you have any learning resources for children while they are at home?

Work Wiltshire have produced this useful list of learning resources.

Young carers & young adult carers

For information around the cancellation of exams, find the governments exam FAQ page

Young carers can find more information on our young carers website. Those aged 16-25 can find information on

Support in your local community

Wiltshire’s many voluntary and community organisations are working hard to support all the people they work with as best they can. In order to do that, we are all joining forces to work in partnership so that we can all cover the geographical spread to reach and support as many people as need us across Wiltshire.

The organisations we are working closely with are list below and their will have details of the services they are currently providing on their websites:

Age UK 01380 727767

Alzheimer’s Support 01225 776481

Wiltshire Citizens Advice 03444 111 444

Wiltshire Centre for Independent Living 0300 123 3442

Wiltshire Parent Carer Council 01225 764 647

How do I find out what support there is in my local community?

Wiltshire Council has launched (31/3/20) a new well-being hub to support vulnerable residents during the ongoing COVID-19 situation.  The team will be offering support and signposting to additional help in your local area. People can get in touch with the hub via email at or by calling 0300 003 4576.  It’s available from 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 10am-4pm Saturday and Sunday.

Local communities are also now coming together to form support networks so  please keep an eye out on social media and local press for details of how to contact them for help. Such groups are being asked to register with Covid-19 Mutual Aid so more details may also be available on their website.

Wiltshire Council has now produced a list of all the community groups who have come forward to help during the COVID-19 outbreak. They will be keeping this as up to date as they can so if you don’t find help in your do check back.

How is the Coronavirus outbreak affecting Wiltshire Council services?

More information on what Wiltshire Council services are being affected by the Coronavirus outbreak is available on their website.

Be aware of COVID-19 scams and rogue traders.

It’s the sad truth that even in these difficult times people will try and take advantage of the vulnerable. There are a few places you can go to check out if something is a scam:

Website and Facebook page That’s Nonsense – has information on a variety of scams and fake news items.

Wiltshire Council has some advice about rogue traders.

The Financial Conduct Authority also has some advice about how to avoid coronavirus scams.

What does the new Coronavirus Bill and Emergency Measures mean for me as a carer?

Carers UK have produced two really useful Coronavirus Bill briefing documents that explain the implications of the new bill and special measures.

I’m worried about my finances

Many of you have been telling us you are struggling with your finances. There are several government schemes now available to help businesses and the self-employed. They have information on their COVID-19 website about the financial support that is available during this crisis.

Wiltshire Council have announced that anyone who is struggling financially can defer their council tax payments until June 2020. You can call 0300 456 0109 or email to request the council tax deferral.

The website Mobilise has also written this really useful article all about dealing with money during this difficult time.

Carers UK have written some useful guidance on changes to benefits, assessments and support due to the Coronavirus.